The subject of this post is how much is too much?






I once read an article from Alexa Chung complaining about her lack of clothes because they were always heaped about and hard to find so she was always on a quest to get something new. This is something I suffer; it is hard not to always want something new and to fail to be satisfied by what you already have. To own beautiful and amazing things and not appreciate them because you are so busy looking for the next trend, key piece or classic you swear , you will wear to death when in fact it sits in your wardrobe unloved and unworn.





I have things I literally wear everyday like my Topshop navy leather biker jacket that I have had for nearly 4 years. I love shopping because it is something I do when I actually have some free time I am always trying to source this or that and forget about stuff I used to love. Moving house recently greatly helped because it helped me rediscover some of them gems in my wardrobe that had been stowed away for over a year from living with my family whilst saving for my house.
I spent most of last weekend going through shoes, hand bags and the cases and bags of clothing organising it into a system where I can actually find everything. I rescued so many things from the charity bags because I had bought them and rarely worn them so I committed myself to start doing so and I am actually beginning to enjoy things I have had for such a long time.





It seems rather obvious when you think about it, when watching stuff like Gok Wan shows and stuff makes us think about what we own and what of that we actually wear. I am restricted to smart but casual at work, though I do get away with a lot.
I enjoy experimenting a lot and try to be daring and quirky. I am not trying to be unique or individual just myself as I am an offbeat and kind of odd soul. I like things lots of many different ideas and cultures and inspired by people, are, and the narrative that goes into a collection. People think this is weird, I like many facets of fashion, the final product isn't just about that and how it is worn. I want to know what inspired the idea.
What has gone into it what was discarded? I enjoy knowing the processes of things and I apply this to my way of dressing. I like to be confident and know what I am talking about when asked why, I wear what I do and where does the inspiration come from?





So this is why I am trying to make do rather than keep buying. Though it is important to add things to update and help adapt my wardrobe so that I can mix it up. This is why I love sales in the summer it means I can get great things for the fraction of the price, I have long given up full price stuff, I prefer to scour charity shops, eBay, Topshop & asos.com clearance because I can't afford a lot after the house. I still enjoy looking good though! I as I have said already I do not really follow trends; I prefer to make something from them I like into my own.





Like the new 1970s trend I have a few pieces scavanged from my older sister who was once obsessed with the era, I have an original shirt, and shaggy coat. I bought a wide brimmed wool hat for £3 from a chrity shop it is the style that is going to be big for A/W11 and my boyfriend has kindly knicknamed it the death hat owing to the black colour. It looks great paired with my pleated sheer skirt, or panelled leggings and a print t-shirt. It is nice to give life to something old.





I did this a few months ago when I found a vintage salmon pink long sleeved maxi dress in Urban outfitters. It was literally falling a part at the seams and had required a few hours of tlc and sewing up. I have also rescued a tan satchel style handbag from the same era from a vintage fair last year. Four hours of leather cleanser and polish made it look beautiful. I know some people may think what is the point? Why not go buy something new from Primark it won't matter if it is ruined or out of style. To me all of these things are beautiful treasures that need to be loved and given a new story to be lived and I like that they are original not reproductions that everyone else is going to be wearing. I don't live my life by vintage I just enjoy finding unusual treasures to love and enjoy. I have done the same with new stuff from sales I enjoy the challenge and project of repairing stuff.
Recently I bought a satchel that someone had bought broke and taken back I was silly not to look at it properly and paid full sale price and had to repair it as well! I love the bag though because I have put that effort in to repairing it and making it useable. It has become some what stained and battered from weeks of constant use. The colour is greyish lavender and is made of suede so instead of getting rid of it I decided to dye it another colour. I spent two week researching it and looking for dye and decided on navy and went for dylon.
It envolves painting it on in thin layers letting it dry running a damp cloth over to remove excess dye and then seal it with suede spray I am happy with the results so far!
It got me thinking as someone who enjoys creative things why not apply the idea more to my wardrobe! Customising is not something I am new to I have many lovely items I have changed to suit my requirements but I always do it for the project rather than actually enjoying them after I have finished it.
So enough of shopping except for new ideas of what to adjust me already have and to inspiring others to do the same as I have at work!





It has been a worth while thing to learn.


Popular Posts